Saturday 25 August 2012

Two sides of the same coin...

I woke up today feeling slightly satisfied. I finally managed to write something, after a long, long long fruitless vacational period. Fruitless because... I didn't write much this summer. And all I tried to write was plain and, frankly, boring.

The thing I wrote yesterday was something I've been planning to do for about a year. I found enough inspiration to write about it on Saturday and I managed to complete it last night. I was happy with it. It's a stupid piece, but I enjoyed writing it very much and I finally could get rid of all those writing canons school's been pushing into Tú's bedroom.

And then, my dad came.

He went out his room and came to the kitchen, were I was fetching myself something to eat before  taking a shower and going to SS. Then, he asked me: "You're...you're pretty good at correcting texts, aren't you?"

I shrugged and nodded, absentmindedly.

"I guess... I dunno. I do enjoy it very much, tho."

He went on:

"Yeah. You've got a thing for it. May I read something to you? Some stuff I've been writing about... You know I'm not much of a literate, but..."

"Sure. Why not?" I've been correcting my father's texts for some time now. So, he brought his PC to the dinning room and, as I ate my cookies and drank my milk, he read to me.

After that, he said: "I've a question for you. I hope you can answer it to me. I don't want to bother you, I've just been wondering..."

"Why did you stop writing?"

His question didn't make me frown. He asked me that before, on summer vacations. And I answered the same way I did back then:

"As I told you before...I don't find any inspiration anymore. I don't have good ideas... I just finished writing a short tale last night and I was really happy about it... But that's been it. I don't think I have good ideas", I repeated.

"Just that?" He insisted. I nodded. "Well, if it's just that, then you should probably try a little harder..."

And he started giving me tips and advice about what to do to keep writing. He even told me I could write about gay relationships (If only he knew...)! XD But he clearly stated that I couldn't stop doing it. 

The way we talked and all made me feel deeply touched and happy. When I was eleven and I told him I wanted to be a writer, he told me it wasn't an easy path to follow, that I had to be really good at it if I really wanted to be noticed and that I shouldn't have my hopes too high for that. I cried a couple of times because those words really hurt me. They were my dad's, of course they did so. That's also why I didn't want to study Literature in the first place (I CRAVED to be in that school), because I had been told that wouldn't pay the bills and all that.

And he was right, somehow. I chose Communication, Journalism, and I'm quite pleased with it. I look back and I see what people do at Literature...and I must say I pass >3> And, still, I'm learning how to write.

Most of the time, he tends to laugh at whatever I wanna do and tries to discourage me. And when I say he tries, I mean he REALLY TRIES. HARD. Because he doesn't like what I like. And, in the end, he's always there, coaching me, rooting for me. Even if he doesn't agree, even if he doesn't like what I want for myself, even if he thinks it is stupid, a waste of time, a childish caprice or something that will just get me distracted and away from the goal (which I still dunno what is XD), he ends up backing me up, no matter what. It happened with English, writing, proofreading, and Japanese. Now, he supports me with all those.

That's why that conversation was touching for me and it made me indescribably happy. After that, he waited for me to get ready and we walked together to the avenue's bus stop. He had his bike with him and he let me ride it as he held my backpack (which, he said, was really heavy XD) for me. We went on, walking and chatting. It was nice. I felt I came back some years in the past, when he took me to the park and helped me learn how to roller skate, even if he didn't quite know how to do it himself.

It's pretty much the same with writing really. But he isn't that bad at it and he's got good ideas.

When I came back home, I told mum about it. And she said dad was also happy about our little conversation. I almost cried of mere happiness at that.

Also, last Wednesday, as I left for SS, I saw him as he came back home after going to the supermarket. He was inside the car. I didn't know it was him until I stopped, because I saw the car doing so beside me. He stared at me and smiled. It was some sort of incredulous look, but not negatively. It was a mixture of happiness, pride and misbelief. As though he couldn't believe the person walking in that street was his oldest daughter, going on her own, such a grown-up and so...pretty, as he told me afterwards when I asked him about that smile.

I know he says so because he's my dad... But the fact that he thinks so means a lot to me. He's always  complaining about how clumsy and overly-sentimental I am. He's starting to realise I'm a lot more than that... I guess ^^;

Just wanted to say this because it did leave an impression in me u.u

On a side note...

I just showed my younger bro two SID songs: Yuuwaku Collection and Ghost Apartment. He said: "Damn. Japanese and chinese people are way too advanced in music too... These are such mofos! Ö" Which means...he liked them XDDD

When I told them I got the romaji lyrics for Ghost Apartment, he was like "D: I dunno how you can do that D: I can't even understand English lyrics D:"

In case you wondered about my SID tracklist for tonight XD

1. Shougen (from Sentimental Macchiato)
2. Namida no Ondo (from Sentimental Macchiato) 
3. Yuuwaku Collection (from Sentimental Macchiato)
4. Nakidashita Onna to Kyomukan (from Hikari)
5. Hikari (from Hikari)
6. Ito (from M&W)
7. Kara no binsen, sora he no tegami (from RenAi)
8. sleep (from Dead Stock)
9. Ghost Apartment (from M&W)
10. Dress Code (from M&W)

+*~<3~*+

2 comments:

  1. Hey darling, this was just so sweet to read! I'm just really really glad for you! Your family sounds like such sweethearts :3

    You think you haven't written in such a long time but I think this post in itself was a great piece of writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, hun! :3 Aw, thanks~ ^^ They are...sometimes XD When they want to XDDD

      It's not that I think I hadn't... It's true XDDD It's been an awful block u.u Thanks, tho~ :3

      Delete